VA Work Study Program
The Iowa State Veterans Center is a VA certified work study location providing students the opportunity to work with our staff while attending classes. Our work study students are an invaluable part of our team and assist in providing top-notch services to our community. VA Work Study Student Staff assist the Veterans Center in accomplishing its mission to serve the Veteran community at Iowa State by providing and facilitating excellent reception, service, and community engagement.
Students who are interested in working for the Veterans Center should follow these steps to apply:
- First: Complete this online application to our Center.
- Second: Complete this application for work study and return it to the staff at the Veterans Center.
Once both of these applications are complete and submitted we will review your application and pending approval from both our staff and the Department of Veterans Affairs we will notify you. You can request an update to your application at any time by emailing email@example.com.
- Welcome visitors and orientate them to the Veterans Center and the many resources available to them (i.e. Department of Veterans Affairs)
- Make appropriate referrals and/or contact the primary supervisor when a need is determined to be beyond the scope of the VA Work Study position
- Gather information in line with training in order to gain a better sense of needs and types of information requested
- Help students receiving military educational benefits navigate the university-system, which at times might mean walking an incoming student to the appropriate office
- Basic project management according to interests, skill level and degree program of the VA Work Study, as a way of involving student Veterans in better understanding resources/benefits available to them (i.e. educational luncheons)
- Serve as event staff for Veterans events
- Other Veteran Affairs and Veteran Center duties as assigned by supervising staff
- Maintain a weekly work schedule of at least 15 hours per week dependent on personal needs
- Maintain enrollment at Iowa State University
- Commit to a term of employment of at least one year
- Accurately track and report hours worked regularly
- Participate in weekly staff meetings alongside full time and graduate staff
- Communicate accurately and promptly with Veterans Center Staff and VA administrators