Active Duty

Active Duty Student Admissions Checklist

1) Application to ISU: Request Service Transcripts

All veteran and military personnel applicants will need to complete an application for admissions and meet the requirements outline for either transfer or freshmen students. If you have served or are currently serving, you will be required to submit your military transcripts when you apply for admission. For those serving in the Air Force, you will need to request a Community College of the Air Force transcript and for all other branches you will need to request a Joint Services Transcript.  Please note that getting transcripts will take some time, so if you are planning on applying to ISU please request transcripts as soon as possible!

  • Other requirements if you have not completed at least 24 graded credits, you will be required to submit the following items:
    • High school transcript
    • ACT or SAT scores
    • Military transcript (JST or CCAF)
    • Transcripts from all colleges attended (if applicable)

2) Application to ISU: GI Bill Benefits

The Office of the Registrar houses VA Certifying officials who will help you through the process of receiving your benefits.  Please visit their page to find information related to what benefits you are eligible for and to contact them. 

3) Application to ISU: Important reminders

  • If you have not completed any college courses prior to enrollment you will be considered a freshman, so you must apply as an incoming freshman and please refer to the freshmen admission requirements when applying. 
  • Career technical, development/remedial, and military credits do not count as academic credit. BUT, military credit IS accepted and to see what credits can be transferred please visit see admissions military credit
  • If you know that you are entering ISU as a graduate student please apply as a graduate student. The qualifications differ by department and program so you will need to be in contact with your department/program advisor. You can still use GI Bill benefits for this and the process for graduate students is still the same as for undergraduate students.

4) In-state tuition + external scholarships

  • In-state tuition eligibility: We want to ensure you receive the most accurate and up to date information about in-state tuition, please contact Ron Sykora at the Office of the Registrar to see whether you are eligible for in-state tuition. Ron will also be doing hours in the Military-Affiliated Student Center on Mondays and Tuesdays if you would like to stop by and talk to him. Changes to this federal policy can happen frequently so contacting Ron or other certifying officials is the best way to ensure you are receiving the most up-to-date information!
  • FASFA: You can still apply for FASFA, even if you are eligible and using GI Bill. Please visit our scholarships page for more information and how to apply for FASFA. Make sure to apply for FASFA by the priority deadline so as to receive all funds that you are eligible for. However, if you apply after the deadline you will still be able to receive FASFA. 
  • External scholarships: There are also opportunities to apply for scholarships offered through non-profit organizations for military-affiliated and veteran students. Please download this PDF for a list of the updated scholarships for the academic year 22-23.